On Scott's 16th birthday, his mother gives Donna and David the responsibility of rounding up people for his birthday party to save it from being a social disaster.
The students of West Beverly unearth a time capsule from 1941 and put together a capsule of their own. Mrs. Scanlon organizes a surprise party for Scott's birthday and pushes David to round up the guests. Donna is the only person who wants to attend. Kelly, Steve, Brenda, Brandon and Emily reluctantly come to the party, but act like jerks and refuse to participate in the activities. David tries to save the party by getting everyone to dance, but Brandon and Emily sneak upstairs to make out in the bedroom of Scott's little brother. Mrs. Scanlon throws them out, and the others act really indignant and walk out on the party. Scott goes to his father's den to get matches for the cake and finds a gun in a locked desk drawer.
He tries to twirl it for David, but accidentally shoots himself in the stomach and dies. David's friends and teachers annoy him by constantly asking about his well-being, while Mrs. Scanlon keeps trying to give him Scott's belongings. Donna takes offense when David continually snaps at her. When Brandon tries to interview him about Scott, David erupts (with the microphone in the radio booth on). He expresses his anger at those who pretend to care about Scott after his death and his guilt over breaking off their friendship. The gang dedicates the time capsule to Scott, and David donates Scott's cowboy hat to ensure that he won't be forgotten.
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Shannen Doherty as Brenda Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Gabrielle Carteris as Andrea Zuckerman
- Luke Perry as Dylan McKay
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Carol Potter as Cindy Walsh
- and James Eckhouse as Jim Walsh
- Scott Jaeck as Mr. Chapman
- Jenny O'Hara as Pam Scanlon
- Greg Finley as Conrad Scanlon
- Micah Rowe as Spencer Scanlon
- Alisa Scheindlin as Denise
- Joshua Wheeler as Brian