On Scott's 16th birthday, his mother gives Donna and David the responsibility of rounding up people for his birthday party to save it from being a social disaster.
The students of West Beverly unearth a time capsule from 1941 and put together a capsule of their own. Mrs. Scanlon organizes a surprise party for Scott's birthday and pushes David to round up the guests. Donna is the only person who wants to attend. Kelly, Steve, Brenda, Brandon and Emily reluctantly come to the party, but act like jerks and refuse to participate in the activities. David tries to save the party by getting everyone to dance, but Brandon and Emily sneak upstairs to make out in the bedroom of Scott's little brother. Mrs. Scanlon throws them out, and the others act really indignant and walk out on the party. Scott goes to his father's den to get matches for the cake and finds a gun in a locked desk drawer.
He tries to twirl it for David, but accidentally shoots himself in the stomach and dies. David's friends and teachers annoy him by constantly asking about his well-being, while Mrs. Scanlon keeps trying to give him Scott's belongings. Donna takes offense when David continually snaps at her. When Brandon tries to interview him about Scott, David erupts (with the microphone in the radio booth on). He expresses his anger at those who pretend to care about Scott after his death and his guilt over breaking off their friendship. The gang dedicates the time capsule to Scott, and David donates Scott's cowboy hat to ensure that he won't be forgotten.
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Shannen Doherty as Brenda Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Gabrielle Carteris as Andrea Zuckerman
- Luke Perry as Dylan McKay
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Carol Potter as Cindy Walsh
- and James Eckhouse as Jim Walsh
- Douglas Emerson as Scott Scanlon
- Jenny O'Hara as Pam Scanlon
- Matthew Laurance as Mel Silver
- Denise Dowse as Mrs. Teasley
- Scott Jaeck as Mr. Chapman
- Greg Finley as Conrad Scanlon
- Andrea bought tickets to Citizen Kane to celebrate the 50-year event and asked Brandon to go, but he says he made plans with Emily and that Andrea couldn't expect him to remember cause she bought the tickets two months ago. What a twat.
- Brandon tells Dylan that he has had three near-death experiences: Brandon almost drowned when he was 5, when Dylan saved him and when he crashed his car
- Scott's address is 5070 Foothill Drive
- David tells Donna he had a nightmare that he was the one who died — this may be a reference to the fact that the producers had to choose who they were gonna fire; Green or Emerson
- FOX executives tried to convince Charles Rosin not to do the storyline, but he ended up convincing them of its necessity. If not for the storyline, Scott Scanlon would've been written out of the series when he goes to Oklahoma for the summer
- this is my country | RAYE & JACOBS
- West Beverly Choir at the 50-year time capsule assembly
- work it out | MONIE LOVE
- The gang dances at the party
- knockin' on heaven's door | BOOTLEG ROCKS!
- brandon interviews david about scott's death
- friends in low places | GARTH BROOKS
- somewhere | BERNSTEIN & SONDHEIM
- Sung by the West Beverly Choir at the memorial
- in your room | THE BANGLES
- brandon and emily make out, prompting brenda to leave for the library
Notes and references Edit
- ↑ Last appearance of Scott Scanlon
- ↑ TV Writers Explain The Importance Behind Their Gun Violence Episodes (October 2017)