- „You know, the tragedy of this country, is that creeps like you two end up running it”
- —Dylan to bullies
Brandon meets and befriends surfer Dylan McKay, a mysterious loner who lives in a fancy hotel suite and hangs out at the beach with his surfer friends that include teenage alcoholic Betty. Meanwhile, Brenda feels she's living in poverty when she gets to know Kelly, and her insecure friend Donna.
Brandon meets Dylan McKay, a mysterious loner who stops some jocks from harassing Scott in tech class. Dylan takes Brandon surfing and introduces him to his friends, including a troubled young woman named Sarah. Brandon becomes disturbed by the behavior of Dylan's friends, who treat Sarah like a possession.
Brandon grows tired of Dylan's bad boy act after he raids a hotel room. Dylan reveals that he lives in the hotel, and only pretended to break in to preserve his reputation. Sarah nearly drowns while surfing drunk, but Brandon and Brenda save her life. Sarah seeks help for her drinking problem, and thanks Brandon for convincing her to believe in herself. Brenda is miffed at Kelly after she leaves her stranded at the beach. Steve's mother, an aging has-been actress, encourages him to be nice to David because she mistakenly believes that David's father is a producer.
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Shannen Doherty as Brenda Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Gabrielle Carteris as Andrea Zuckerman
- Luke Perry as Dylan McKay
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Douglas Emerson as Scott Scanlon
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Carol Potter as Cindy Walsh
- Kelli Brook as Samantha Sanders (voice)
- Jonathan Pekar as Eric
- Steve Messina as Duane
- Raoul N. Rizik as Tony
- Alex Désert as Robinson
- Helena Apothaker as Dream Girl
- Milt Tarver as Doctor
- Troy Shire as Jock #1
- Nicolas Reid as Jock #2
- Kelly – C'mon before he asks for alimony
- Steve – Yeah, well, after a year with you, I deserve it!
- Brandon – Hey, my name is, uh, Brandon Walsh
- Dylan – Brandon Walsh? Scots or Irish?
- Brandon – Both actually, by way of Minnesota
- „I just don't believe in winning through intimidation. Unless of course, I'm doing the intimidating”
- —Dylan to Brandon
- Brandon – What's this?
- Dylan – Ah, a little leisure reading
- Brandon – Byron, the Collected Works
- Dylan – Mad, bad and dangerous to know. That was him and that's me
- „If this is a day in the life of your basic Beverly Hills family, we're moving back to Minnesota”
- —Cindy to the twins
- This episode introduces the character Dylan McKay.
- According to the addresses on the envelope in the intro, the Walshes move from:
- 1408 Walnut Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55348
- 933 Hillcrest Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90210
- It was 105 degrees on the day the scene with the mailman was filmed, and the producers were having a hard time keeping the "snow" - which in reality was just a soap suds mixture - from evaporating in the heat.
- surf city | JAN BERRY AND DEAN TORRENCE
- word to the mutha! | BELL BIV DEVOE
- monday, monday | THE MAMAS AND THE PAPAS