Two new people start working at the Wyatt Free Clinic with Kelly who are Jeff, a new medical intern, and Valerie who is serving community service for her bookmaking, where Kelly also tries to help a spouse-abuse victim. Meanwhile, news of the sudden illness of Carly's estranged father has her wanting to move to Montana with Zack to care for him, and away from Steve who's struck with grief fearing that he will never see his girlfriend again.
David hangs out with a band, called Jasper's Legend, to do a story on it, who indulges in his worst fears of drugs and booze. Also, Valerie turns on her deviousness again when she is determined not to let Brandon and Kelly get back together by interfering with Brandon's phone messages. Elsewhere, Donna and Noah begin arguing over Brandon's fling from different perspectives.
Valerie gets a relatively light sentence after being arrested for illegal bookmaking (community service) but she gets a tough one-two punch when Noah fires her and she gets assigned to Kelly's clinic to do her time. Kelly makes sure to assign Valerie the most unpleasant tasks possible, but glee over fucking with her least favorite person takes a serious backseat when an abused young wife named Leah arrives at the clinic. With help from a likable young doctor who was assigned to replace fired rat bastard Dr. Monahan, Kelly helps Leah find help from her monstrous hubby Lenny.
Carly is stunned when she finds out her father in Montana is facing a life-threatening medical emergency that requires immediate surgery. Steve pledges his support for her, but she later tearfully tells him that Pa Reynolds will need extensive rehabilitation and she is going to move back home to help take care of him. Steve is devastated that their relationship will not continue, and wishes Carly and Zack goodbye as they fly away. Brandon is also on the relationship rocks, but for a completely different reason: Kelly found out about his tryst with Emma and dumped him. Brandon alternates between trying to make amends and being angry that Kelly won't forgive him, nearly having a felonious road rage moment along the way, but at the end of the day he remains unforgiven and alone.
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Tiffani Thiessen as Valerie Malone
- Joe E. Tata as Nat Bussichio
- Hilary Swank as Carly Reynolds
- Vincent Young as Noah Hunter
- Michael Durrell as Dr. John Martin
- Paul Popowich as Jasper McQuade
- J. Robin Miller as Leah
- Terry Walters as Jo
- Eddie Ebell as Mark
- Christopher Daniel Barnes as Lenny
- This episode marks the final show appearance for Hilary Swank, who would go on to earn two Best Actress Academy Awards for "Boys Don't Cry" and "Million Dollar Baby".
- Kelly finds out about Brandon's affair and ends their relationship
- 'Under 21' by Save Ferris