Although Doherty attained teen-idol status in 1990 with her portrayal of Midwestern transplant Brenda Walsh on Beverly Hills, 90210, the 19-year-old was already a show-business veteran, having spent the prior decade appearing on TV series such as Little House on the Prairie and popular films including the cult flick Heathers. Doherty left 90210 in 1994 and went on to star in 1995 Kevin Smith comedy Mallrats.
In 1998 Doherty re-teamed with Beverly Hills, 90210 executive producer Aaron Spelling for the TV series Charmed, playing a family orientated, responsible modern-day witch. Following her early exit from that series in 2001, Doherty branched out into reality TV, hosting series including Scare Tactics and Breaking Up With Shannen Doherty. In 2008, the actress reprised her role as Brenda Walsh on the reinvented 90210.
Though she appeared in only a handful of episodes on 90210, Doherty continued to enjoy a resurgence in popularity with her 2010 appearance on the ABC series Dancing With the Stars. Doherty is currently working with Kevin Smith on the upcoming Mallrats (1995) sequel entitled Mallbrats (2016).
- Writer/producer on Seasons 3–7 of Beverly Hills, 90210, Larry Mollin, lamented in a 2010 interview the departure of Shannen Doherty, saying that 'the writers loved Shannen.'
- Made film debut in 1982 as the voice of Teresa in the animated adventure The Secrets of NIMH.
- Was cast as Jenny Wilder on Little House on the Prairie by Michael Landon after he saw her performance in Father Murphy.
- Appeared in the Slaughter music video "Real Love."
- Was featured in Playboy magazine in 1993 and as the cover girl in December 2003.
- Was the first cast member eliminated from Season 10 of Dancing with the Stars (2010).
- Lent her voice to the Web series Mari-Kari (2010), playing the dual parts of a girl and her evil twin.
TV & FILM
|1990–1994||Beverly Hills, 90210||Brenda Walsh/Wendy Edwards|