Although Doherty attained teen-idol status in 1990 with her portrayal of Midwestern transplant Brenda Walsh on Beverly Hills, 90210, the 19-year-old was already a show-business veteran, having spent the prior decade appearing on TV series such as Little House on the Prairie and popular films including the cult flick Heathers. Though she left 90210 in 1994 amidst rumors of her bad behavior on and off the set, the starlet remained in the spotlight thanks to her work in made-for-TV movies and a string of high-profile romances. In 1998 she even reteamed with Beverly Hills, 90210 executive producer Aaron Spelling for the TV series Charmed, playing a sexy and sensible modern-day witch. Following her early exit from that series in 2001 (again amidst rumors of her difficult behavior) Doherty branched out into reality TV, hosting series including Scare Tactics and Breaking Up With Shannen Doherty. In 2008, the actress reprised her role as Brenda Walsh on the reinvented 90210. Though she appeared in only a handful of episodes, Doherty continued to enjoy a resurgence in popularity with her 2010 appearance on the popular ABC series Dancing With the Stars. Off screen, the actress is set to release her first book, the self-help guide Badass, in 2010.
Television and FilmographyEdit
- Witchslayer (2010)
- Mari-Kari (2010)
- 90210 (2008-2009)
- Kiss Me Deadly (2008)
- Charmed (1998-2001)
- Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990-1994)
- Made film debut in 1982 as the voice of Teresa in the animated adventure The Secrets of NIMH.
- Was cast as Jenny Wilder on Little House on the Prairie by Michael Landon after he saw her performance in Father Murphy.
- Appeared in the Slaughter music video "Real Love."
- Was featured in Playboy magazine in 1993 and as the cover girl in December 2003.
- Was the first cast member eliminated from Season 10 of Dancing with the Stars (2010).
- Lent her voice to the Web series Mari-Kari (2010), playing the dual parts of a girl and her evil twin.