Grand is the third episode of the new Melrose Place series. The epsidoe premiered on September 22, 2009 on The CW.
Jonah is furious when he learns that Riley hasn’t told her family or friends that she and Jonah are engaged. Upset over their fight, Riley turns to Auggie for comfort. Caleb reams Ella after her director bails on a job, so she recruits Jonah to fill in on a Boomkat music video at the last minute. However, the lead singer, Taryn, might be more than Jonah can handle, putting Ella’s job on the line. Meanwhile, David accuses Michael of murdering Sydney, Lauren applies to be on Michael’s team at the hospital, and Violet continues to make her move on Auggie.
A fight broke out instantly because Riley is yet to tell a single person close to her about their engagement. Jonah expresses his displeasure with this fact, and then gets whisked away by Ella. She has finagled a job for him as the director of a major music video when the big name attached to the project dropped out. Jonah does a great job on the video. At one point, Riley stops by to talk to him about their fight, but he's understandably busy... so she goes home, drinks a bottle of wine and kisses Auggie.
When his shoot is complete, Jonah comes back to the apartment and makes up with his fiancee, although he has no idea what happened between her and Auggie. He also gets screwed in another way: Ella tells Jonah her boss has put the name of the major director back on the video because it will help it sell better. Jonah is crushed, but thanks Ella for fighting on his behalf (which she didn't really do).
Violet steals a dress from Sydney's apartment and wears it to work. She also tries to win over Auggie by buying him a pair of expensive sunglasses. He's not very into the gift.
Michael helped Sydney fake her death years ago by illegally saying a dead body was, in fact, Sydney Andrews. When Sydney shows up at his house years later, she's pissed: she spent six years in jail for faking her death, but she never revealed Michael's help in the cover-up. This allows her to blackmail Michael with the threat of exposing him. She gets money and she gets sex from her ex-husband. She also calls him on the night of her murder and we see him hanging up the phone, planning on heading to her apartment.
David makes it clear he suspects Michael of killing Sydney. He tells his father he'll do all he can to prove it. This involves stealing Michael's security card and breaking into his computer at work. In response, Michael confronts his son and says he knows what he is up to. He even knows that David stole a two-million dollar painting from Michael's house.
Michael says he's gonna make it his mission to know everything David is up to. Along those lines, he hires Lauren to be part of his medical team, seemingly to help him keep an eye on David's activities. The episode ends with David using the security information he stole to break into his father's computer. He sees files on... everyone. Sydney. Auggie. Ella. David.
- (Ella rushes toward the door, sending a text message)
- Lauren: Morning. More coffee?
- Ella: I want sleep and another set of opposable thumbs.
- Jonah: (to Ella, referring to Taryn) I never thought I would actually say this, but let me see what I can do about getting the forty-five away from the crazy chick in the bus.
- Ella: You were brilliant today, Jonah. When you focus and you execute, you're unstoppable. Why would you let anyone come in the way of that?
- Jonah: Because I'm not like you, Elle. I can't just turn off my emotions, okay? When I said I wasn't thinking about Riley today, she was still on my mind. She's always on my mind.
- Ella: Well, then I hope she likes Bar Mitzvahs and birthday parties. Because if you don't start putting your career first, that's all you're going to have to share with her.
- Auggie: No one's asking you to have every answer.
- Riley: But Jonah just wanted one answer, and it took me an entire day to give it to him. I should have been more sure.
- Auggie: You can't help how you feel.
- Riley: That's the problem. I don't even know how I feel.
- Auggie: I think you do know how you feel. That's why you're scared.
- (they kiss)
- Press It Up" by Sean Paul
- "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands" by Michael Rady
- "The Beat Is" by Channel Two
- "So Talented" by Taryn Manning
- "Make Me Believe" by Angel Taylor
- "Run Boy" by Boomkat
- "On Board" by Friendly Fires
- "I'll Be In The Sky" by B.O.B.
- "Still Got Time" by Tom Howe & Dan Gautreau
- "Colder Months" by Alpha Rev
- "Collect Call" by Metric
- "Daniel" by Bat For Lashes
When Michael asked Sydney who did this to her (when she came into the emergency room after her accident that supposedly killed her in the original series), Sydney responded that it was someone from her past. Fans of the original series know that Sydney was run down by Samantha accidentally, who's father took control of the car trying to run from the police
- Jonah: Ella, this video is flat. Taryn looks like the Tin Man who's in serious need of some WD-40.
- This is a reference to the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz. Dorothy, the main character, dreams that she is trying to leave Oz and return home to Kansas. The Tin Man was one of the characters she met in her dream.