Gower is the eight episode of the new Melrose Place series. The epsidoe premiered on November 3, 2009 on The CW.
Riley helps Jonah film a wedding, but the two get into a big fight in the middle of the ceremony. Putting her relationship with Jonah first, Riley breaks off her friendship with Auggie, who doesn’t take the news very well. Meanwhile, Ella discovers Lauren’s expensive new clothing and lingerie plus a large envelope of cash and confronts her roommate about the late nights she’s been working. As with her wout, Lauren lies to Ella about her secret work. Also, David fears he may be responsible for Sydney’s death.
Jonah and Kendra, the movie producer, argue over the value of Tarantino's work. Kendra says Tarantino stole from Kubrick, but Jonah defends him by saying he merely appropriates then arranges the story well. Kendra asks him to tell her more about himself.
Lauren finds Ella working out. Ella asks her who she is dressing up for, but Lauren says she only has a lot of disappointing first dates. Ella believes Lauren is being secretive and asks her to trust her. Lauren says her life is not tabloid material.
Jonah gets drunk at the bar. After Jonah tells a story, Kendra tells him he is smart and gives him a kiss. Jonah stops her and admits he is engaged. Kendra asks him if he isn't ready for marriage, he should break off the engagement now. Jonah says he wants to go through with the marriage, but Kendra has her doubts. At the restaurant, Auggie has Violet try a new dish. She tells him the food is delicious. Violet convinces Marcello to try Auggie's meal. He is skeptical and after he takes a bite he says it had too much thyme. Marcello says he should be happy he didn't spit it out. Auggie says he wants to try out new dishes for the menu, but Marcello says it is not going be on it.
Detective Rodriguez arrives at Melrose and tells David he knows Ella hired a private detective to break into Sydney's apartment. He orders him to tell him what he knows or he will be found charged for obstruction of justice. David says he hates the person who hurt Sydney and explains she helped him a long time ago. He remembers when Sydney found him when he was crying at his mother's gravestone. She introduced herself to him and asked if he wanted to grab some breakfast. Later, they went back to her place where they made love.
Rodriguez asks David to tell him he wasn't with Ella the night when Sydney was murdered. David says he was with her. The detective threatens to find out where he is getting his money from if he doesn't cooperate. After Riley wakes up, she asks Jonah where he was last night. Jonah explains he went out for a walk and even texted her. Jonah learns that his assistant is calling in sick because he hurt his wrist playing Wii. Riley offers to work for him.
Caleb tells Ella that their client Jessie Roberts overdosed. He informs her he is stable, but they need to spin his story or his reputation will be ruined. After Ella learns that Jessie is being treated at Lauren's hospital, she tells Caleb she will take care of the situation.
At the restaurant, a client walks in the restaurant. Marcello tells him he has a new dish and takes credit for Auggie's creation. Violet tells Auggie that they shouldn't let him get away with it, but Auggie explains this is how the system works.
Ella visits Jessie in the hospital. He says he only snorted two lines of bad drugs. Jessie asks who knows about his overdose and she says no one does yet. Ella asks him if he has any allergies. Lauren walks in the room and is surprised Ella is there. She tells Lauren that Jessie is one of her biggest clients and she needs to make him squeaky clean. Ella asks her to make a false report that Jessie had a bad reaction to penicillin. Lauren says granting the request will be a felony. Ella tells Lauren that they can all win out in the situation. She offers her a donation from her company, visits from Jessie and a couple thousand dollars in exchange for changing the paperwork.
Later in the office, Ella tells Caleb that Lauren won't budge. Caleb instructs Ella to offer Lauren more money. Ella says she doesn't think Lauren will cooperate. David arrives and informs Ella that Detective Rodriguez visited him the other day and told him she hired a private investigator to break into Sydney's. He tells her she knows she lied to him about where she was. Ella says she doesn't know if her investigator got angry and killed Sydney. David admits he was with Sydney, got drunk, blacked out, and got angry after Sydney told him she had an affair with his dad. David remembers the night when Sydney died. He told Sydney that he thinks she purposely got close to him to get back at his father. David tells Ella he doesn't know if he hurt Sydney.
At the wedding, Riley and Jonah argue over what they want to do for their wedding.
Ella looks for Lauren in her room. She notices Lauren has a collection of lingerie and an envelope full of cash. Lauren arrives and asks Ella what she is doing. Ella says she figures Lauren is working as a prostitute. Lauren explains she got the money from her dad after he won big in poker. Ella, who is not convinced, apologizes and offers fifty thousand dollars in exchange for the change in paperwork. Lauren refuses and says her career comes first.
Jonah sees Riley getting emotional while she films the marriage ceremony. Afterwards, Jonah admits he kissed Kendra. He says it is almost like when she kissed Auggie, but he feels like crap unlike her. Riley says kissing Auggie was a mistake. She wishes she could take it back, but he says she can't. David drives to a construction site. He remembers when he woke up and found a knife in his hand the night Sydney was murdered. He remembers he buried the knife in the construction site. He digs for the weapon, but it is not there.
Riley goes to the restaurant to talk to Auggie. She asks him why he told Jonah they kissed. Auggie explains he thought she already told him. Riley says she was drunk and what she did was wrong. Auggie says it will never happen again. Riley says she doesn't want to hang out with him anymore. She asks him if he understands and he says he totally gets what she wants.
Ella arrives at the hospital and tells Caleb they have to go to Plan B. She explains that Lauren is more stubborn than she thought. Ella suggests they let the truth come out instead of trying to bury the story. She says they need to get Jessie help and there might be a media informer in the hospital. Caleb figures if they go with her plan, they will be able to control the story.
At the restaurant, Marcello criticizes Auggie's cooking. Marcello tells him not to sneak off to speak with with his lover. Auggie gets angry after Marcello compares Riley to a sweet dessert. Auggie pushes Marcello to the ground then beats his face. Later, Violet goes to Auggie's apartment to bring him his knives. Violet says Marcello got what he deserved. Auggie says he just lost control. Violet holds his hand, asks him if his fists hurt, then gives him a kiss. They get on the couch and undress.
Meanwhile, Rodriguez learns they found a knife at a construction site.
David visits Sydney's grave and apologizes. Riley comes home and informs Jonah she told Auggie they can't hang out anymore. Jonah says he never wanted that, but she says they should have their relationship to come first. Jonah admits he is going to meet with Kendra to practice pitching his movie. Jonah assures her his relationship with Kendra will be professional and asks her to trust him. Riley says she feels like they are moving apart. Jonah says after he asked her to marry her, things became off. Jonah says he hates fighting. They wonder what they should do now.
Ella meets with Lauren and apologizes for trying to buy her off and assuming she would go along with her plan. Lauren says she saw Jessie's story in the news. Ella promises she will never bring up her theories about her being a prostitute up again. Ella offers to listen if she wants to talk, but Lauren says there is nothing to talk about.
- Detective Rodriguez: Just tell me you and Ella were never together the night of the murder.
- David: That'd be a lie.
- Detective Rodriguez: What else is a lie? You live like a rockstar without a single deposit from a trust fund or your old man. You don't cooperate with me, I'm gonna eventually find out how you can afford this life of leisure.
- Violet: (after Marcello takes credit for Auggie's recipe) Did that just really happen? That's like cooking plagiarism. You can't let him get away with that.
- Auggie: I don't have a choice. It's my job to make Marcello look good. There's a chain of command in the kitchen, and if I ever want to get promoted, I've gotta obey it.
- Violet: Well from here, it looks like your chain is getting yanked.
- Lauren: You're not seriously still trying to get me to change Jessie's hospital records.
- Ella: Wow, Lauren, I'm confused. You refuse to the screw the system just a little bit, but you have no problem at all screwing--
- Lauren: Hey! Seriously stop
- Riley: What is happening to us? I feel like we are on two trains, heading in two completely opposite directions. And it's bigger than Auggie or Kendra.
- Jonah: I feel like ever since I asked you to marry me, things have just been...off.
- "Echo" by Ciara
- "Find My Way" by The Elliots
- "What I'm Saying" by Mimi & Teft
- "I Wanna (Disco Tech Remix)" by The All American Rejects
- "Be There" by Howie Day
- "Take The Road" by Chris Hayman
- "Get Out Of My Head" by Karlie Bruce
- "It Don't Move Me" by Peter Bjorn & John
- "Canon in D" by Crucial Music
- "Electric Twist" by A Fine Frenzy
- "Wolves Final And Sexy" by Colin Barstow
- "The One" by Sharam ft. Daniel Bedingfield
- "Only One" by Alex Band
- "Belle Of The Boulevard" by Dashboard Confessional
- Ella: (to Jessie) I am not going to let your legacy be a true Hollywood story of oops I did it and died.
- This is a reference to the TV series E! True Hollywood Story, a documentary series that debuted in 1996. The show covers famous people, movies, and TV shows.
- Ella: (to Jessie) More importantly, no more putting any of that crap up your nose. Otherwise you're gonna have a power lunch with River Phoenix.
- River Phoenix was an actor who died at age 23 of a drug overdose in Los Angeles. He was the younger brother of actor Joaquin Phoenix.
- Caleb: (asking Ella to gather items for Jessie at the hospital) Ella, Defcon 5, let's move, now.
- Defcon 5 is an adventure video game that was released in 1995 for the Sega Saturn and original Sony PlayStation systems.
- Lauren: My dad sent me that money for school.
- Ella: Yeah, who's your dad, Tony Soprano?
- This is a reference to the HBO series The Sopranos that ran from 1999 to 2007. James Gandolfini played the role of Tony Soprano, a mob boss living in New Jersey.
- Lauren: (after catching Ella searching her closet) What are you doing?
- Ella: I was just gonna ask you the same thing, pretty woman.
- This is a reference to the 1990 romantic comedy Pretty Woman. In the film, Julia Roberts plays a prostitute who develops a relationship with a businessman after he hires her to give him directions.
- Marcello: Violet! Hostess, then bartender. Don't tell me, you're the next Julia Child.
- Julia Child was a popular chef who wrote numerous cookbooks and appeared on several TV cookies series, including The French Chef, her first show.