Donna's sorority hosts a Valentine's Day Make Romance, Not Love dance where participants make a celibacy pledge for the evening. In an effort to steer Ginger away from David, Valerie sets her up with Jonathan. Donna helps Joe deal with some bad news and Kelly hits rock bottom when she ventures out alone to Hollywood in search of drugs.
On Valentine's Day, Clare makes a bet with Steve that he won't fulfill his pledge of celebrating celibacy at a Valentine's Day party that Donna's sorority throws. Meanwhile, Valerie sets Jonathan up with Ginger to keep her away from David, but her plan fails and when David learns the truth about Ginger and that Valerie will do anything to keep her secret, he leaves Valerie for good. Kelly travels to the rough area of L.A. to buy more cocaine for herself, gets beaten up, and hits rock bottom. Also, Joe gets bad news when his coach tells him that he is off the football team after news of his heart disorder begins circulating.
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Tiffani Thiessen as Valerie Malone
- Joe E. Tata as Nat Bussichio
- Kathleen Robertson as Clare Arnold
- Valerie and David break up.